Friday, March 26, 2010

Looking For An AHA Moment

Ive been in la-la land all day. Doing a particularly mindless task at work today, and my mind keeps turning to my Etsy shop. I opened it last weekend with just two shirts which have gotten like 5 views a piece. This isn't upsetting, I haven't really done any type of promoting, and I think if I'd had a big response I'd be really overwhelmed. However, I do want to add to my inventory and start venturing into the promoting waters, mainly because I want to keep making stuff and I can't afford to if I don't sell anything.
I have another shirt I can post tomorrow. I also have some knitted pants finished, I am knitting up some appliques and will probably have those done next week. Today I mostly have been chewing on more tshirt ideas. In particular I have one concept I'm just having so much trouble with. The message I want to get across is that babies are our future. OK, somewhat cheesy and well covered territory. But it's still true and, as a mom, something I think about a lot. I want to raise my boys right because I think that it's my responsibility - I made these people, I was blessed with them, now I need to make sure I do what I can to see that they make the world a better place.
So, my first thought was something along the lines of "what you see here is the future" but it's too wordy. "the future" - too plain. "in my eyes, the future" - too mystically cheesy. "in your arms you hold the future" - to messagey. I don't know, it's such a simple concept, but I'm finding it's an easy one to go wrong with.
I tried looking at some quotes for inspiration. Somewhat disturbingly, the one that caught my attention most was from Hitler. Something to the effect that he who owns the youth, owns the future. Yeah, what that egomaniacal, murdering dictator said.
Except I want them to be owned by self confidence and morality and compassion for each other. I want THAT to be the future. I want to make a little shirt that makes you think about that every time you see your little one wearing it.
So yeah, I've got some thinking to do.
And I think I might try my hand at some little hippie baby headbands. Random b/c I've always HATED baby headbands squeezing their poor little soft boned heads, but I'm thinking nice, soft, wide bands with some cute crocheted circles in beautiful colors on them. Oh, if I could only find some focus and efficiency in my life.
OH! And I feel I must mention this: Regarding my snide and bitter post yesterday about my redneck neighbors allowing their hunk of junk trampoline to attack my car. I didn't know which neighbor the thing belonged to, so I just sort of generalized as all my neighbors are pretty redneck to some degree. Well, so are we, what with the myriad vehicles in various states of operability, the goats, the super noisy at inappropriate times welding machine....I admit it, we are, its pretty much why we moved out there. In any case, the rednecks in question could have gotten away with the trampoline incident scott free as we had no clue where it came from, but they came over last night, laid claim to it, picked it up to haul to the dump, gave us cash for the cost of the window and offered to repair some scratches it left that I hadnt even noticed. My faith in humanity restored, we declined the last offer and feel very warm and fuzzy about our neighborhood now. Redneck as it is.

2 comments:

  1. keep it up :) i found the growing pains of opening my shop frustrating at times (like when i was refreshing the page every other minute the first couple months) but so rewarding when one sticks it out! i'm going on a year and 1/2 now and my sales have tripled since this time last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Kat! I have so many ideas and so little time to execute them. I find myself coming up with all sorts of ideas at work, then in the course of a day talking myself out of them. Give me too much time to think and bad things happen! I'll keep plugging along though, and I'm sure I'll get something made here and there :-) I'm excited about your giveaway, can't wait to see what you're busy creating - such suspense!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, I LOVE to hear your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails